How much wallpaper do I need ?
The following chart should give you an approximation of how much will be required.
Simply add up the distance around the room and calculate the height from the top of the skirting to ceiling.
- Always check that all rolls carry the same batch number and product reference.
- If you pick a paper that has a large pattern additional rolls may be required.
- You will get approximately 3 drops from a roll for a patterned paper with an average ceiling height.
- Wallpapers normally come in lengths of 33 feet (10.05 metres) and 20.5 inches (52 cms) wide.
How to wallpaper
Remove old wallpaper completely before you attempt to hang new paper.
If the old paper is a vinyl or if it has been painted score the surface lightly with a blade to break the surface.
Remove old paper with a steamer or liquid wallpaper stripper.
Make sure that the walls are clean and dry and sound.
Fill any holes and cracks and rub down smooth.
Apply to the walls (see instructions on packet) if the wall seems porous.
If the walls are emulsioned ,rub surface lightly and apply lining paper.
Check on the wallpaper paste packet for advice relating to the mixture required for the type of paper that you intend to hang.
If you are using a ready pasted vinyl refer to the instructions on the label.
Where do I start ?
- It is important to make sure that the first piece of paper that you hang is perfectly straight, measure from a corner of the room preferably using a plum bob, mark a line using a pencil, use this line as your starting point.
- Cut your first length of paper allowing for several inches at each end and apply the paste onto the reverse of the paper, refer to the manufacturers label regarding soaking times.
- Apply the piece of wallpaper to the wall, position the edge so that it meets the line that you had drawn, smooth down paper with a wallpaper brush or sponge to remove excess paste or air that is trapped under the surface.
- With your scissors run the edge of the blade along the angle of the ceiling line and also at the skirting, peel back and cut where the impression was made and remove excess and smooth back onto wall.
- Simply adapt the same process.
If you require any help or advice please contact us
Telephone / Fax (02920) 461490